MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN WITH CITRUS BEAN SALAD
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
One of the few things I love about summer is that it is pretty easy to eat healthy without sacrifice. Warmer weather and fresh produce come together, and the fact that you can grill a piece of chicken for a smoky delicious flavor makes it easier.
As summer comes to an end, I am using up the last of my herb garden and enjoying my last bunch of cherry tomatoes and cucumbers before the soups and stews of fall abound. This flavorful chicken dish is a perfect way to end the summer.
While this dish tastes bright and fresh, it’s actually composed of a few canned and jarred ingredients as well. Two kinds of beans add fiber and nutrients, while olives compliment the briny dressing and citrusy grilled chicken breast. It’s a delicious casual meal you can eat outside to enjoy the last of the season, but if it’s too cold to grill, you can pan sear your chicken in a skillet and it will still turn out delicious.
When trying to come up with a good seasoning for the chicken, I settled for the Citrus Salt & Pepper blend from Ava Jane’s Kitchen. A bright, robust blend that is not harsh or overpowering like some lemon pepper seasonings, it is perfect here. It complements the dressing for the salad, and goes with the herbs nicely. The dressing is lemony, herby, and so good you will want to drink it with a spoon.
The best thing about this salad is that you can dress it before serving, but it will still be delicious the next day. So grill up some extra chicken and you’ve got tomorrow’s lunch done.
1/4 cup Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 10 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas, drained
1 teaspoon Colima Sea Salt
- 2 chicken breasts
1 tablespoon Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
2 teaspoons Ava Jane’s Kitchen Citrus Salt & Pepper
- First make the salad. In a large bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, and mustard until well combined. Add the remaining ingredients and toss well. Set aside.
- To make the chicken, preheat a grill to medium high heat. Brush the chicken breasts with the avocado oil, and season with the Citrus Salt & Pepper. Grill the chicken until cooked through. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Serve the sliced chicken over the bean salad.
Easy to download PDF: Mediterranean Chicken with Citrus Bean Salad