HERBED CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP
Growing up, every casserole we ever ate had some kind of canned soup in it. Cream of mushroom and cream of chicken were the most popular, as far as I remember. What I don’t remember is anyone every eating the soup, you know, as soup. Maybe people do, but I’ve never seen it. But I know a good creamy soup is delicious, so I set out to make my own cream of chicken soup.
Disclaimer: I have no idea what is in the canned version, so this is not a recreation of anything. I hope that’s not what you’re expecting here, but I also hope that you’ll be pleasantly surprised with this recipe. It’s creamy, and loaded with chicken and fresh herbs, and has tons of flavor from a combination of bacon, cream, and the right seasonings.
As a lot of my recipes do, this one starts with Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil in a pot. This one also ends with a drizzle on top, and it compliments it nicely. In between are some veggies, some herbs, and Ava Jane’s Kitchen Everyday Spice, a kind of lemon pepper seasoning, but better. It really compliments the soup nicely, and if you have some, this is a great use of it.
When done, you can top this soup with whatever you like. More fresh herbs, bacon, of course, some croutons, maybe even a little bit of hot sauce? Of course, you could also add this to a casserole if you want, but taste it first — you may be surprised to find it’s better than whatever you’re trying to recreate
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
2 tablespoons Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Ava Jane’s Kitchen Everyday Spice Blend
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives or green onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 2 cups cooked, diced chicken
- Juice of 1 lemon
Colima Sea Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add the Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil, followed by the onion, celery, and garlic. Cook until softened. Add the seasoning and the flour. Cook for another minute.
- Add the broth and milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 10 minutes. Add the herbs, chicken, and lemon juice. Heat for about 5 minutes.
- To serve, ladle into bowls. Top with the reserved bacon, a drizzle of Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil, and a dash of Colima Sea Salt.
Easy to download PDF: Herbed Cream of Chicken Soup