FISH TACO BOWLS WITH CILANTRO LIME SLAW
I love recipes that allow you to pile a lot of toppings in a bowl, like this one. It’s not really a salad, although it definitely could be, but it’s delicious and customizable, and best of all, pretty nutritious.
My bowl started with quinoa I had left in the fridge, but any rice or grain will do. On top of the quinoa was a creamy cilantro lime slaw, crisp pan seared fish, sliced avocado, cubes of Pepper Jack cheese, and some sliced grape tomatoes. A few pumpkin seeds for crunch (next time I’ll try tortilla chips), and it made a delicious dinner I’ll definitely add in my rotation.
This recipe showcases your avocado oil in two ways: First, it’s blended up with Greek yogurt, lime juice, garlic, and cilantro and turned into a thin, creamy dressing for the slaw. Next, it’s used to fry up the fish used to top your bowl. While you definitely get the more aromatic flavor from the slaw, you can definitely tell the fish has a unique flavor that comes from the oil. Since the avocado oil has a high smoke point, it makes a better frying oil — it’s nutritious, unlike canola, and it doesn’t smoke up your kitchen the way olive oil might.
I’ve already thought of several ways to redo this recipe, while keeping the same flavor profile. Tortilla strips, goat cheese, black beans and corn, or even shrimp or chicken. Really, I think as long as you have a grain, the zesty slaw, and a protein, it should still be pretty delicious. It also comes together pretty quickly if you use leftover grains and pre-shredded cabbage like I did.
1/4 cup AJK extra-virgin avocado oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 bunch cilantro
Pinch of Colima Sea Salt
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
1/2 teaspoon Colima Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound firm white fish filets, cut into strips
3 tablespoons AJK extra-virgin avocado oil
- 2 cups cooked quinoa or rice
- Sliced avocado
- Cheese of your choice
- Sliced tomatoes
- Nuts or tortilla chips
- Lime wedges
- Chopped cilantro
- Put the avocado oil, lime juice, garlic, yogurt, and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Add about a 1/4 cup water, and blend until garlic and cilantro are chopped. It will be a fairly thin consistency. Put the cabbage in a bowl and toss with the dressing.
- For the fish, combine the flour with the seasonings and dredge the fish pieces in the mixture. Heat a heavy skillet to medium high heat until very hot. Add the oil, and fry the fish until crisp and browned.
- To serve, divide the quinoa between bowls and top with the slaw, the fish, and your desired toppings.
Download this recipe in easy to print PDF format: Fish Taco Bowls with Cilantro Lime Slaw