DELICATA SQUASH BRUSSELS SPROUT SALAD
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
Winter squash is one of my favorite vegetables, but I rarely cook it unless I can find it already prepped. I know there are ways to help cutting up a butternut squash along, but I still don’t want to deal with the peeling, balancing and chopping.
I recently came across some delicata squash at my local grocery store, and was intrigued. I’ve never had these before, but have read that you can eat the skin. It’s also in a much easier shape to slice, so it seems too good to be true.
I’ve got good news —it’s totally not! Yes, it’s still hard, and you have to scrape the seeds, but you really can just slice into half moons, cook and eat. And it tastes just as you would imagine a winter squash to taste: sweet and nutty, and delicious when caramelized.
Since I love roasted squash on a salad, I decided to try delicata with one of my favorite salad combination, Brussels sprouts and kale. Throw a few cranberries, pecans, and chunks of creamy goat cheese, and you’ve got the perfect fall salad. The dressing is a simple avocado oil, lemon juice, and mustard blend that doesn’t take away from all the other flavors going on here. A sprinkle of Colima Sea Salt, and this is a healthy meal I can get behind.
- 1 delicata squash
2 tablespoons Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, finely shredded (use a food processor if you have one)
- 1 bunch kale, thinly sliced, stems removed
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Colima Sea Salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to remove the seeds and slice the squash into 1/2 inch half moons. Lay on a baking sheet and drizzle with the avocado oil. Roast for 20-30 minutes, until squash is tender and lightly caramelized. Let cool slightly.
- To make the salad, combine the sprouts, kale, pecans, cranberries, and goat cheese in a large bowl. Add the warmed squash.
- Put the oil, lemon juice, garlic, and mustard in a jar and shake well. Toss with the salad and add a hefty pinch of Colima Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
Easy to download PDF: Delicata Squash Salad