CHICKEN KALE SALAD WITH ORANGE BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
I feel my best when I eat salads and smoothies everyday. It’s not always easy, especially during the last few months of the year when overindulging suddenly becomes the norm.
I can usually get back on track, but I need an amazing salad to get me there. This might just be that.
On the surface it sounds pretty uninteresting. It’s just kale, with some sunflower seeds for crunch, and chicken breast for protein.
But the dressing. Oh, this dressing. I’ve used my Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil for a ton of salad dressings — it’s one of my favorite uses. But it’s usually some variation of lemon juice, mustard, maybe some garlic. It’s easy, delicious, and versatile.
This time, I decided I needed something more. Something punchy. Sweet, but tart, but also savory enough for kale. This orange balsamic dressing is the way to go, and compliments the earthiness of the kale like magic.
Speaking of kale, there’s an art to making a kale salad that you actually enjoy eating. It involves massaging (yes, massaging!) the leaves to break down the tough fibers that make it difficult to chew. It also somehow makes the leaves just a tiny bit sweeter, if that makes sense. Point is, don’t skip this step!
This is the perfect winter salad to get you through those cold months until spring. It’s a great way to use leftover cooked chicken and repurpose into an amazing, healthy meal.
- 2 bunches kale, stems removed, torn into bite sized pieces
- Pinch of Colima Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup cooked and chopped chicken breast, cooled
1/4 cup Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1/2 small shallot, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
- Put the kale pieces in a large bowl with a generous pinch of Colima Sea Salt. Using your fingers, massage the kale for several minutes, breaking down the tough fibers. If there are still big pieces of the stem, break those down extra well. Add the sunflower seeds and chicken to the bowl.
- To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a jar and shake until well combined and emulsified. Immediately toss with the salad and serve.
Easy to download PDF: Chicken Kale Salad with Orange Balsamic Vinaigrette