VOCADO OIL MORNING GLORY MUFFINS
I try to eat breakfast everyday. Key word, try. Usually, it’s oatmeal or a smoothie, but occasionally I’ll make muffins or pancakes or something.
As the leaves change and the weather cools down, a moist, spicy muffin is perfect with coffee. Pumpkin is an obvious choice, but not the only one.
These morning glory muffins are a classic version of the recipe, except that I used my avocado oil instead of butter or vegetable oil. I thought maybe floral notes in the oil would go nicely with the orange flavor, and I couldn’t have been more right. The avocado oil also adds amazing moisture, which lends to the perfect texture. These were even better the next day.
As far as muffins go, there’s a lot of leeway as far as substitutions. You can use pretty much any kind of nut or dried fruit that you want, and sub pineapple juice for the orange juice if that’s more your thing. I used whole-wheat flour, but I’m sure that white flour would work. Just as long as the muffins are perfectly spiced and studded with nuts, fruits, and veggies, they should be perfect for fall!
- 2 cups wheat flour (whole wheat or AP)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup toasted and chopped pecans
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup extra-virgin avocado oil
- Juice and zest of 1 orange (about 1/4 cup juice)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried fruit (I used dried cherries, but raisins are traditional)
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 small apple, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners or spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and pecans in a bowl and sift until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, brown sugar, oil, orange juice and zest, and vanilla. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the dried fruit, carrots, and apples and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin and bake for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool before removing from the pan.
Dowloadable PDF: avocado-oil-morning-glory-muffins