TURMERIC CHICKEN AND RICE SOUP
Chicken soup is one of those foods that almost everyone finds comforting. Tender chicken and vegetables, a starch if you like, and hot flavorful broth have the power to heal and comfort like nothing else. Everyone has a favorite recipe, and none can be more nourishing than any other, right?
I’ve decided to accept the challenge to make it even more nutritious, and have made a chicken soup that is even better than most, thanks to a secret ingredient you may have never used: fresh turmeric.
Turmeric is a root, similar to ginger that is often ground and added to mustard, tea, and curry (it’s what gives curry powder it’s bright yellow color.) It’s kind of bitter, but wildly nutritious, and full of antioxidants and healing properties. You’ve probably had it in some form, even if you don’t realize it, but you may not recognize the fresh version.
Fresh turmeric looks similar to ginger root, with a thin, brown, papery skin, but the inside is bright orange. As you might imagine, the difference between fresh and dried is stark — the fresh version is bright and fresh tasting, while the dried is more muted. Fresh turmeric may not be as easy to come by as the dried version; you may have to check out a health food store or other specialty market. This chicken soup uses fresh, but by all means sub dried if that’s all you can find – just use half the amount called for.
As far as the other ingredients in this soup go, it’s got plenty of chicken and veggies and gets a big dose of flavor from Citrus Salt and Pepper seasoning I got in my spice subscription. The lemony kick helps bring out all the other flavors, and adds even more nutrition. Instead of noodles, I like rice, but you can easily add noodles if you want instead. A good homemade broth is perfect here, but whatever you have will work — if you’re feeling under the weather and need some soup, you do what you gotta do!
2 tablespoons Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh turmeric (or 1 teaspoon dried)
2 teaspoons AJK Citrus Salt and Pepper spice blend
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup cooked rice or other grain
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- DIRECTIONS:Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery, and cook until soft. Add the garlic and turmeric, and cook for 1 minute, and then add both seasonings. Stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, water, and chicken and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken breasts from the pot, shred, and add back to the pot. Add the lemon juice, rice, and parsley, and serve immediately.
Easy to Download PDF: Turmeric Chicken and Rice Soup