SALTED ALMOND JOY BAKED OATMEAL
This is one of those recipes that is kind of like dessert, but is actually good for you. It’s perfect for a brunch, or for breakfast on a holiday when you don’t want to be a short order cook.
It’s also pretty easy to whip up, and something everyone will enjoy. Who doesn’t like chocolate, almonds, and coconut after all?
For maximum flavor, make sure to toast your coconut and almonds. Almonds are pretty easy — just bake for 10 minutes or so in a 350 degree oven, or just buy them already toasted. Coconut, on the other hand, is tricky. I do it in a skillet, but you have to stir constantly, and once you turn off the heat (as soon as it starts to brown) you have to remove it a.s.a.p. or it will still burn.
Once that’s done, you simply whisk your liquids, pour over your dry ingredients in your casserole dish, and bake. Regarding chocolate chips, to make it like a true almond joy, use milk chocolate chips. I used semisweet because that’s what I had.
Once it’s out of the oven, sprinkle on a good dose of Colima Sea Salt, which adds crunch and brings out the flavors of the other ingredients, especially the chocolate. Serve it warm, topped with additional toasted coconut, or a spoonful of thick vanilla yogurt.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds (chopped if using whole)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon Colima Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk (coconut milk is a good choice here, but anything will do)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
Colima Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the oats, almonds, coconut, chocolate chips, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and stir to mix. Transfer to a squared baking dish.
- Whisk the milk, eggs, honey, coconut oil, and almond extract until well combined. Pour over the oats. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until top is browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Sprinkle with Colima Sea Salt before serving.
Easy to download PDF: Salted Almond Joy Baked Oatmeal