ROASTED BABY SPRING CARROTS
I know it’s not quite spring just yet. It’s still rather cold here, but we’ve had some very spring-like days recently. In February! These got me thinking about spring vegetables.
A little over a month from now, however, our farmer’s markets will be in (almost) full swing. We’ll get some tender baby greens, herbs, peas, and one of my favorites – real baby carrots, in a variety of colors.
Now, when I say baby carrots, I don’t mean those bags of orange tubes that people snack on. Those are fine for some things, but they are not real baby carrots. I’m talking about the kind that are small and sweet, and absolutely perfect when roasted.
So when I happened upon these the other day at a small grocery store, I had to get them, and I had to roast them in my avocado oil. The avocado oil’s delicate, floral flavor and high smoke point is perfect for this kind of application, and these turned out beautifully. I ate them with some seared salmon and a salad, and it was a simple dinner that turned out beautifully. I have a few left, so I’m going to try to turn them into a dish by themselves — maybe with some lentils, yogurt, and a spicy sauce? I don’t know, but it will be something great.
You can, of course, use this recipe with any kind of carrots, including bagged baby carrots, but if you can get yourself some tiny whole carrots, those are better. Eat them with your spring lamb, some roasted chicken, or just throw them on a salad. Some fresh herbs and a crumbly cheese are the perfect accompaniment; I used mint and goat cheese, and then drizzled with more oil and coarse sea salt after they were finished.
- 1 pound small rainbow carrots, tops removed
4 tablespoons Ava Jane’s Kitchen extra-virgin avocado oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Fresh chopped herbs such as mint or parsley
- Crumbled cheese such as goat or feta
Colima Sea Salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the whole carrots in 3 tablespoons of the oil and the lemon juice. Lay on a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast until the carrots are browned and caramelized, 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of your carrots. Remove from oven and transfer to a serving dish.
- Sprinkle with the herbs, cheese, Colima Sea Salt, black pepper, and an extra drizzle of oil if desired. Serve warm.
Download this recipe in easy to print PDF format: Roasted Baby Spring Carrots