MANGO CHIPOTLE CARNITAS
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
It’s officially slow cooker season, which means chilly nights filled with comfort food. Soups, stews, and slow braised meats abound as days get shorter and dinners get easier.
This recipe is one that I’ve made dozens of times before, as it’s versatile, easy, and delicious. This time, however, I added a secret ingredient that gives it a unique twist of flavor: Costa Verde Mango Chipotle Seasoning that I got from my Ava Jane’s Kitchen spice subscription.
First, let me tell you a bit about this seasoning. It’s sweet and spicy, with a hint of fragrant mangoes and a touch of smokiness. It’s perfect for adding exotic flair to somewhat classic dishes like this one.
This slow cooked pork is perfect for tacos, salads, tostadas, or anywhere you like spicy melt in your mouth Mexican style pork. Since it tastes even better the day after, it’s a great choice during a busy week when you know you won’t have a lot of time to cook.
It starts with a pork roast that you’ll season and sear until well browned before putting it in your slow cooker. Seriously, don’t skip this step — it’s what gives you those golden, crispy, flavorful bits that make carnitas so good. After that, it’s into the slow cooker with a few other things, and hours later, you’ll have a delicious, tender shredded pork that fits into a keto or Paleo diet. Serve it in lettuce wraps, on top of a salad with some avocado, or eat it over cauliflower rice. If you eat carbs (or are enjoying this with people that do) you can scoop it into corn or flour tortillas and top with a little cheese or sour cream. It’s an easy meal that can satisfy everyone’s dietary preferences.
Tip: You can also cook this in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Simply follow the instructions but pressure cook for 90 minutes instead of using your slow cooker. Release the pressure, and proceed.
- 3-4 pound pork roast
4 tablespoons Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Costa Verde Mango Chipotle seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups broth or water (you can also use beer — a light lager —if it fits into your diet)
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- Season the pork roast liberally with salt and pepper. Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Add the roast, and cook until well browned — it should be a deep, caramelized color.
- Transfer to your slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, until the pork falls apart easily with a fork. Serve with desired accompaniments.
Easy to Download PDF: Mango Chipotle Carnitas