AVOCADO OIL ORANGE BEEF
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
After a long holiday weekend of cooking out and hanging out with friends and family, I need food that meets two main criteria: It’s healthy (I’ve likely spent the weekend eating chips and brownies, while washing it down with beer) and it’s fast (I’m tired — I don’t want to stand in the kitchen all day.)
This recipe meets both of those criteria. It’s super fast, extra filling, and nutritious. It also meets an extra requirement of being delicious with a twist.
If you’ve read my posts before, one of my favorite flavors to pair with my avocado oil is citrus fruit, mostly oranges. Usually this means a dessert or salad dressing, but this recipe is a full meal, and one that you’ve likely made or at least eaten before. The difference is that the avocado oil gives it a bit of a different flavor profile, but in a really good way.
Orange beef is generally made with sesame oil, which, don’t get me wrong, is a perfect pairing. Here, though, I’ve replaced that with extra-virgin avocado oil in both the stir-fry part (the high smoke point makes this easy,) and in the sauce. The bright floral aroma goes nicely with ginger, garlic, and the kick of red pepper flakes. It’s easy to adapt to make Paleo friendly, and it’s also easy to change it up — use shrimp instead of beef, or add pea pods in addition to the broccoli. Either way, it’s a quick meal that also lets you practice using your chopsticks!
1/4 cup AJK Extra-Virgin Avocado Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (use coconut aminos for Paleo version)
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch or arrowroot
2 tablespoons AJK Extra-Virgin Avocado Oil
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 pound stir fry beef
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Whisk all of the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl until well combined and set aside.
- To make the stir-fry, mix the cornstarch or arrowroot with a teaspoon of cold water. Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok and add the green onions. Cook for a minute and add the beef. Cook until browned and remove the beef from pan.
- Add the broccoli and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the sauce and the cornstarch mixture and turn the heat to high. Stir until thickened, add the beef back to the pan and heat through. Add the sesame seeds. Serve with rice if desired.
Download this recipe in easy to print PDF format: Avocado Oil Orange Beef