QUINOA STUFFED SWEET POTATOES
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
My favorite time of year is in the fall. Not just because the weather is usually perfect, but also because flavors tend to change. While summer tends to be about fresh and light and refreshing, fall food is about deep flavors. Toasty, spicy, warm. One of my favorite fall ingredients are sweet potatoes, both as a side dish and a main.
This recipe is a perfect vegetarian main dish for fall. Baked sweet potatoes stuffed with autumn studded quinoa, all brought together with a cinnamon spiked orange avocado oil dressing. The dressing is simple, not too heavy, and works perfectly for a meal in the late stages of summer when you’re just itching to get to bonfires and holiday meals.
The only downside of this is that the potatoes take awhile to bake, but it’s hands off time. You can cook the quinoa while the potatoes are in the oven, or you can use leftover grains from another meal. You can microwave the potatoes to speed up things for a quick dinner, but if you’ve got the time, your oven will produce much better potatoes.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup AJK extra-virgin avacado oil
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
Colima Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Put the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and pierce each potato several times with a fork. Bake for another 30-45 minutes, until easily pierced with a fork.
- While the potatoes are cooking, bring 2 cups water or broth to a boil. Add the quinoa, reduce heat to a low simmer, and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes, turn off heat, and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and allow to cool until sweet potatoes are done baking.
- Add the pecans, cranberries, parsley, celery, and green onions to the quinoa. Whisk the oil, orange juice and zest, cider, vinegar, and cinnamon in a large bowl until well combined. Add the quinoa and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, slice the potatoes and stuff with the quinoa mixture.
Easy to download PDF version: quinoa-stuffed-sweet-potatoes