PRETZEL CRUSTED FRIED CHICKE
The last several months have been hard when it comes to food, as I’m sure you all are aware. This is especially true if you like eating a healthy diet because when there’s not much to do outside of the house, indulging in bad food seems like the best option. I’ve tried to balance it out, but to be honest, it’s hard. I finally realized that sometimes you just need to indulge and that’s okay.
So that’s what this pretzel crusted fried chicken is all about. It’s the kind of thing that will make you feel better when it seems like nothing else will.
You can use bone in chicken or not, and if you’ve got kids, this will make excellent chicken tenders (maybe skip the Hot Roasted Garlic.) Now, while I would not call this health food, there is one thing about it that I think makes it better than your regular run of the mill fried chicken. Instead of frying in a generic vegetable oil, I used Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil. If you think you can’t use your avocado oil for frying, then try this and see if you still believe that. I also flavored the breading with Hot Roasted Garlic seasoning to give it a bit of an extra kick. The end result is juicy chicken with an oh so crispy crunchy crust, a bit of heat, and tons of flavor. It’s the perfect food when you’re having a bad day, I promise you.
- Combine the cornstarch and Hot Roasted Garlic in a wide, shallow bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, and milk.
- In another bowl, combine the pretzels with the mustard and paprika.
- Dredge the chicken pieces first in the cornstarch, then milk, then pretzels until well coated. Let rest at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, add the oil to a wide, straight sided skillet, such as cast iron. It should be heated to 350 degrees.
- Add the chicken pieces a few at a time, being careful not to overcrowd the skillet. Fry until golden browned and cooked through.
- Transfer to a large plate or platter and sprinkle with Colima Sea Salt.
- Serve immediately.
Easy to download PDF: Pretzel Crusted Fried Chicken